Sunday 29 April 2007

My Travels through India

I got back last week from my trip to India. I went back to India after 2 years and saw how much she has grown and how much more she needs to grow. Yet I was proud of her achievements. Hyderabad, sadly has taken a few steps back. The ex-hip and happening city, the baby of Chandrababu Naidu is losing its charm. This was the city that received special mention from AB Vajpayee for its cleanliness. The work that Naidu did for several years is fast getting undone. But on the bright side, people are realising what Naidu did right and feel that Congress might be losing votes! So I am rooting for the speedy return of CB Naidu.

I think the most enjoyable part of my visit was the road trip from Hyderabad to Rajahmundry (town by the banks of river Godavari). I saw India in all her glory and I was in awe of her majestic beauty. I saw the numerous fields pass by me. I admired the greenery and the true essence of rural life in India. I also saw a coalmine! I wanted to take a detour and visit the mine, but the idea was hugely unpopular with the rest of my family who wanted to get to the destination sooner. My enthusiasm was undeterred and I gave my family a crash course how coal is mined. I think one of my cousins might have listened for a minute and then tuned out! Oh well their loss....:(

India is one country that foreigners find easy to hate, but those who are spellbound by her find her difficult to forget. I didn’t realize how much I loved India till I left it. It’s amazing how I get worked up about the truth! For instance, if someone came up to me and said India is a dirty and poor country, I get offended. I know it’s the truth yet I get worked up about it and I want to retaliate with a nasty comment like, “we are dirty because we are poor and we are poor because you stole from us for 300 years….”
Some guy at my work said “The Indian team sucks”, I know it sucks but I just hate the truth being shined into my eyes and I hit back with “Well look who are coach is!!”
Of course the comment is now null and void, but at the time it was funny and it felt good to hit back!

But all in all, it was a great trip and as always I was left wanting to spend just a little bit more time in India.

3 comments:

pb said...

Awesome post....i know people who go back after 6 months in US and all they can do is criticize the place...I see the flaws too and feel bad...but doubt i could have put it ay better than that...No place like home!!!

trishul said...

Well, nice to know people living abroad likes India so much that they seem to be missing badly. Then why dont they come back and live here?
Just wondering....

Ed Vis said...

Abhilasha, just like you, I visited India last year. Just like you, I was spellbound by the changes that is happening in India.

But one question I have is whether changes that are happening in an orderly manner.

For example, every month two or three high rise building are constructed in Bangalore.

From where are they getting water supply and how are they taking care of sewerage?